Saturday 13 August 2011

Gevorg Dabaghyan

I decided that today should be another day of revisiting categories of world music, which I've neglected for a while. I decided to feature Armenian music in today's post when my sister suggested some Armenian artists to me. I haven't posted about the artists that she originally suggested because as is often the case, I couldn't find any YouTube clips for them. Nevertheless when I'd gone through enough Armenian music one suggestion led to another and I came across Gevorg Dabaghyan. Although his music has a sad tone it's very powerful, and that's why I like it so much.

Gevorg Dabaghyan is an Armenian duduk (an indigenous Armenian woodwind instrument) player, who founded the Shoghaken Folk Ensemble (a group of Armenian folk singers and musicians focussing on traditional Armenian music) in 1991.



If you'd like to listen to more samples of his music, here are the links to his mp3 albums on Amazon: Miniatures and Lost Songs From Eden (an album he recorded with the Komitas String Quartet).

No comments:

Post a Comment