Wednesday 6 July 2011

Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XXI

A few days ago when I was discovering more world music, I happened to discover the artist, Jordi Savall. So at first I listened to his guitar music, and I loved the Celtic style involved in his music, then iTunes suggested the music of Hespèrion XXI & Jordi Savall, so I listened to the samples from their album, Orient-Occident, and I was even more impressed by the combination of Savall and Hesperion's styles of early music, as you might be able to guess this album incorporates a range of Arabic, southern European and Eurasian styles. 

Jordi Savall is a Spanish Catalan viol player, who has played a range of Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque music but sometimes plays classical music and music of the Romantic period.


Hespèrion XXI was formed by Jordi Savall, Montserat Figueros, Lorenzo Alpert and Hopkinson Smith in Basel, Switzerland. Because the band formed in 1974, they were called Hespèrion XX to begin with, they then renamed themselves Hespèrion XXI at the beginning of the 21st century.


I decided to share this tune with you because it reminded me of the Arabic music you often hear on the television, when you watch programs about the Middle East. I will at some point share some Western European music with you but I hope you enjoy this anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment