Sunday 17 July 2011

Lei Qiang

Today I decided to take this blog in a more oriental direction because I realised that I'd forgotten to share my love of traditional Chinese music with you. It took me a while to find an artist who plays traditional Chinese music on iTunes so I chose to feature Lei Qiang. I love this man's music because I'm very fond of erhu (a two-stringed bowed musical instrument) music.

Quiang was born in Shaanxi province and began playing the erhu in 1975. He studied at the Xian Conservatory of Music (which is a very well respected music school) and after he had finished studying there, he travelled through Asia with the Shaanxi Provincial Song and Dance Troupe for 11 years. He moved to Canada in 1993, an since living there he has recorded music with well-known musical acts like Cirque du Soleil.


No comments:

Post a Comment