Saturday 30 July 2011

Mahala Rai Banda

I happened to discover Mahala Rai Banda, when I learnt through Twitter that their music was very popular on BBC Radio 3. So I decided to look them up on YouTube and sample their music and although I didn't like all of their compositions because they sometimes modernise traditional gypsy music a little too much for my liking, I like their other tracks because they make me think of people dancing and having fun.

Mahala Rai Banda is a band formed by gypsies from Romania. The band uses lots of different styles and genres in their music, so it's quite likely that you might like me find that you don't like all of their compositions/songs. Their music is known as Balkan beats since it's a mixture of traditional popular music and club-oriented music but that's not to say that every piece of music they produce sounds like club music.The band consists of a brass band and violin and accordion players, so their music is very loud and more recommendable to listen to if you're in a lively mood. If you ever decide to go to one of their concerts, you'll find that it turns into a wild party!


If you'd like to listen to more samples of their music on Amazon, here are the links: Mahala Rai Banda and Ghetto Blasters (the music on this album is more modern).

No comments:

Post a Comment